Thursday, October 23, 2014

Caramel Apple Popcorn


Miss K's Nutcracker program has a bake sale this weekend. Do you know how long it has been since I have been able to participate in a bake sale? Too long. Now I make, bake, and take all the time, but it's usually for teachers, friends or family. Never for kids and never for sale. School policies have ruined me.

For about a year now I have been on a huge popcorn kick. Not so much making it, but buying the flavored and eating it. But lately, I've been pinning popcorn- I even have a board called All Things Popcorn. On it is this pin, the original for the idea that is going to the bake sale this weekend- Caramel Apple Popcorn. I will tell you though, hers is much prettier than mine. Mine kind of wants to stick to the bag making it a bit cloudy. And her pictures are amazing. My kitchen lighting hates me, I had to turn my picture black and white and then bring out the green (they really aren't that fluorescent).  Kudos to LizOnCall.com, and much thanks for the idea.


So what do you need to make these fun treats? This is how I made mine. Miss K helped. It's always fun to have her in the kitchen. 

What You Need:
1/2 cup unpopped popcorn
2 10oz bags Wilton Caramel Apple Candy Melts (Walmart)
3/4 pkg Kraft Caramel Bits
Wax Paper
Baggies
Scissors
Bakers Twine
Paper Straws

Directions:
Pop popcorn according to your corn popper's directions. Empty into a huge bowl. Be sure to get rid of the kernels. Melt the candy melts according to package directions, I used my Pampered Chef Batter Bowl. Stir well, the melts will be thick and smooth. Then pour over the popcorn and mix well using a spatula. Once mixed pour on to wax paper and spread out to cool. Sprinkle about 3/4 bag of caramel bits on top and around. 

Once cool, I broke up and took approximately 1 cup and placed in a sandwich bag, inserted a straw, shaped like a ball and tied a bow around it with bakers twine. This made 12 Caramel Apple Popcorn Sticks, and I have leftovers for the kids me to much on.

Not sure how they will do at the bake sale, surely they are worth a $1 for cuteness alone....

 photo BlogSignature_zpsaaa2dccc.png

No comments: