Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Nana's Christmas Gift: Bird Seed Wreaths

What did the greatest Moma and Nana in the world get for Christmas?

Bird Seed Wreaths. Yes, she is a bird fanatic. And since it's Winter in Oklahoma the birds need to eat and I can buy seed and make something pretty.



I found the idea on Pinterest of course. Here is my recipe, I ended up using more bird seed and flour than the ones on Pinterest, while mixing it up it just didn't seem thick enough.

What you need:

5 cups bird seed feed
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup water
3 Tablespoons corn syrup
4 envelopes of Knox gelatin
cooking spray
bundt pan

Directions:
  1. Spray the bundt pan. 
  2. In a saucepan, add water and gelatin. Don't boil. Just make sure it is mixed well.  Pour into large bowl. 
  3. Add flour and corn syrup into the gelatin mixture. Use a whisk so there are no lumps.
  4. Add bird seeds and mix well. I used the whisk the first time to mix my bird seed and switched to a spoon the next time. 
  5. Press the seeds into the mold until it is good and firm. After about 20 minutes I flipped my wreath out of the pan using a butter knife onto paper towels. I only own one bundt pan and needed to make more wreaths. Be sure to allow adequate drying time on each side. I let mine dry about 48 hours before wrapping it up. 
  6. Place a ribbon through the wreath and hang. 

So far only her yellow finches like the wreaths, but she hasn't sent me pictures. Boo. She claims that she has too many sunflower seeds out right now and the rest of her birds love those more. I see how they are. Snobby birds. 

 photo BlogSignature_zpsaaa2dccc.png

4 comments:

Kitchen Kelli said...

Holli and I made something like this when she was a kid for family members but this looks gorgeous - I like this much better! Pinning for future use!

ShaRhonda said...

I was still worried about it being a fail w/ the elements. She didn't bring them in at all last week during her rain, sleet, and snow. I am still wondering about the heat, but if it melts the seed will just be on the ground.

Kitchen Kelli said...

Well, I love it!! Sharing on my community page!

ShaRhonda said...

Post pics & tag me! Can't wait to hear how your birds like them.