Saturday, August 3, 2013

The Crafty Crow: I Made a Chalkboard

I wanted a chalkboard. For my kitchen. One that I could write cutesy messages on, maybe even a planned menu. I had seen all the ones floating around on Pinterest that were DIY, cut this board, that board, hammer this and that. I am not one to go to that extreme. Or even have certain tools to accomplish that task. I decided that I wanted to upcycle. Time to go into junk gypsy mode. I decided a mirror would be fun. My friend's husband found two matching mirrors at a garage sale for $5 each. He isn't the type to talk the seller down so my mirror ended up being $5. 

I have to show you now my finished project, then I'll tell you the HOW. 

WaaLaa....


This is the chalkboard paint to use. $3.97 at Wal-Mart. I also used another can in matte Burgundy for my frame. Same price. You will also need some painters tape. 

It would have been 100x easier if I could have separated the mirror and frame on this project. It was a no go. So I had to tape it off. I did the chalkboard paint first. DO NOT let your daughter get grass seed in it. I let it dry then had to sand out the grass seed (this was just an extra totally unecessary step), then I sprayed another coat of chalkboard paint. I let it dry overnight. The next day I sprayed it with the burgundy. Let it dry. Then took the chalkboard paint and lightly sprayed/misted/dusted it over the entire surface. Then to distress it, I took the sandpaper that had the chalkboard paint on it from the previous day and went over all the edges. I love the the black and brown contrasts throughout the mirror. 


Wanna see my new chalkboard again? 


Before using, you will need to season. Just take the wide side of a piece of sidewalk chalk and then erase. I chose to use Chalkboard Markers on mine. I do not want chalkboard dust in my house to clean up. These markers wipe off easy with a wet towel. You can get the markers at Hobby Lobby for $12.99, but remember you can use a 40% of coupon!!!
My friend hasn't made hers yet. Can't wait to see it. Do you have a DIY chalkboard project? Leave a link and show it off.

Pin It
 photo BlogSignature_zpsaaa2dccc.png

2 comments:

Joey Hoffman said...

Love it!!! I would totally pay you to make one for me;)

ShaRhonda said...

Thanks girl. Totally not going to let you pay me. Craft day. Just find and we will make.