Friday, August 8, 2014

Cozy Wall Art: Canvas Art Project & Review


It has been a crazy, busy summer. But, I don't think any of you need me to tell you that. Cozy Wall Art contacted me before school was out in May to review their wall art. I picked two wall decals one for my son's room and a Ballet Shoes Wall Decal for my daughter's. They did a special cut for me for my son's- he had to have a basketball, their Teen and Tween Wall Decals are amazing. Cozy Wall Art is a Texas based company, they were awesome to work with and offer FREE shipping on all orders.

My intentions were to change their beds around this summer. It is time to move B to Miss K's full size bed. He is over six foot tall now. With that move comes paint and major re dos right? Well, then in June we called in a realtor. Needless to say we still haven't put the house on the market and no beds have been moved around. Since my walls are already a neutral color we know better than to paint them, and if we do move within the next year, I don't want to lose these awesome wall displays. So I went to Pinterest and began looking at ways to save the vinyl. I ran across a few pins on putting vinyl on canvas. Seemed easy enough. I even contacted a friend who paints for a living, she says she does this all the time and said she would do it for me. I was up for the challenge.

The canvas sizes I needed were $29.99. I needed two. I lost my primary income when school let out. Time to save and use those 40% off coupons at Hobby Lobby. Thankfully I already had my daughters background paint on hand- a quart of SEXY PINK from Glidden that I had received free from a promotion. Then my son decided on a background of BOO SKY which is a Disney color by Glidden.

Our project finally began this week. The kids painted their canvases using a foam roller brush. Two coats and we let them dry over night. They had a lot of fun. Believe me its a great bonding experience to give your children a paint brush and challenge them to not make a mess on your uncovered kitchen table.



The next day, Miss K and I set out to transfer the decals. This took a measuring tape, some masking tape, the card that Cozy Art sent, my Sam's Card (because two cards are better than one), mod podge, and then I had to run to Dollar General to get some spray adhesive for Braden's. His needed help sticking. I can't answer the why on that one. Maybe because it was such a huge graphic, it also seemed to have a different backing on it than Miss K's. Her's was blue.

 

To apply, we just measured and centered, we used the halve method to pull the backing paper/transfer method off. They were huge transfers, and we didn't want them to slip. Then we used the cards to rub on the decals. With the canvas there isn't a hard surface under it, so I used a stack of copy paper. Worked perfectly. After application I went over with a coat of mod podge to seal.


On B's, in order to get the transfer paper off, I had to lightly spray the canvas with the spray adhesive. His does have a few bubbles in it, where I messed it up before getting the adhesive- could kick myself. He loves it though.




 So, what do you think? I want to try some wall quotes on canvas next. Can't wait.

 photo BlogSignature_zpsaaa2dccc.png

Special thanks to CozyWallArt.com  for providing the products free of charge for my honest review in this post. I was not compensated monetarily for this post. 

No comments: