Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Okie Strong for My Aching Heart

*


My heart aches.

It aches for the now total of 53 victims of two deadly tornadoes that have ripped through my state of Oklahoma in the past two days. Two twisters that killed, out of many that carved paths of destruction. The number of victims is expected to go up. 

It aches for the Mommies who can no longer old their baby boy or girl. I cannot even imagine. I cannot even bear to turn on the news. Especially with my own children so near. I can't even fathom.

It aches for the rescue workers, officials and clean up crews as they go through piles of rubble. Searching for just a glimpse of life. Of hope. 

It aches in fear. Fear of the unknown. Fear of what the next storm may bring. I typically do not express fear, for I know fear is not of the Lord. I admit though, these storms scare me and always have. I do take comfort in knowing that I have a heavenly home, and I will find solace in this verse:

Psalm 27:1 
The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear? The LORD is the strength of my life; Of whom shall I be afraid? 
(NKJV)

Be strong my fellow Oklahoman's. Strong in faith, hope and love. We always have been a state that prays together, a state that is OkieStrong.


*my friend Debbie Vinyard, owner of HappyFirst.com drew this Okie Strong picture. Feel free to post/share. 

2 comments:

Beth Zimmerman said...

The death toll went down, didn't it? Or is it up again? Whichever ... HUGE blessing that it wasn't higher although that is little comfort to those suffering losses. Praying for all!

ShaRhonda said...

Author's Note: I was going to edit this post and changed the number of the death toll, but decided to leave it. Why? Because that is the number reported when I wrote the post that night. Within moments of hitting publish, the number was up to 91. The next morning it was down to 24. TWENTY-FOUR!!! It almost angers me that the news can report such numbers without known facts. While I am thankful for the blessing of only 24, I am still extremely heart broken.