Tuesday, April 19, 2011

My Neck of The Woods-Tushka

I think for today's edition of What's Going on in My Neck of the Woods, I have to go back to where my family roots began. You see my Moma was born and raised in Tushka, Oklahoma- just fell short of graduating there by one year when she married my Daddy in May of 1973 and moved to Wilson, OK- where she then graduated high school in 1974, the year I was born. For those of you who have watched any national weather coverage over the past few days, you know that this rural southeastern Oklahoma town of only 345 people was destroyed by an EF3 tornado on April 14, 2011. I praise God that my entire family- uncle, aunts, cousins and friends are safe. The loss of life in this town was 4. The damage to the community is unbelievable. The school completely leveled.  

My Cousin Dwayne Tomlinson posted the following picture on his Facebook page on Sunday that his girlfriend Alyssia Shores took, along with the following caption. I knew then exactly what I needed to share with my readers today. 

After almost every house was ripped from its foundation and trees that have stood more years than any of us are old were ripped from their roots and all from the ground, this is the message that people from Tushka AMERICA wants to put out; no matter how hard the wind blows or how much destruction gets thrown at us our determination and pride will conquer all. This flag stood tall after the storm. This picture was taken hours after the storm hit. Nobody put it up. It survived through the night. To all the families that lost everything stand strong, like Ole' Glory has.

Tushka is a part of My Neck of the Woods, without it I wouldn't be who I am today. I admire this community- there is no doubt the love it has for its neighbor which is a reflection of each one of their love of God. They will rebuild bigger and stronger than ever.

Thank you Dwayne and Alyssia for allowing me to repost- I love you both and I know that my readers will continue to lift this town in their prayers and if asked will do whatever need be done.

*I just realized as I type this that this will post on the 16th anniversary of the Oklahoma City Bombing. How symbolic that Ole' Glory stands so strong. 
...One Nation, Under God, Indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for All. Amen.

Link up today at The RHOK and tell us what is going on In Your Neck of the Woods!

7 comments:

ThatsBaloney said...

Amazing! I'm so glad your family is okay.

Mom Mayhem says: said...

Wow! -reminds me of the star spangled banner - "Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there" - Amen! And glad your family is ok!

Amy said...

I'm glad your family got through the tornado ok! I love Spring but I hate that with Spring comes tornadoes!

Impulsive Addict said...

A friend of mine came through there today and said it looks BAD. One of M's employees lives there and his house was hit, but still standing but his neighbors weren't so lucky. They have NOTHING left. It just makes me sad.

6 Happy Hearts said...

Drove through there this weekend. It's just awful. Reminds me of the hurricane damage in FL. Nothing is left but a huge mess.
Great post. Love the flag!!!

Dawn said...

It's completely devastating. I breaks my heart for all those in that community.

Great post, SC. I love the way you tied in Old Glory.

Leanna said...

I'm glad your family is ok and am praying for all.

Hope you all have a Happy Easter!