Wednesday, September 11, 2013

The Story I Will Tell My Daughter About 9/11/2001

"Mommy, why are the flags like that today?" my six year old daughter asked as I was dropping her off to school. That being like this.



At half staff. They really looked so sad. I didn't have time to explain to her. Of course we were at the head of the drop off line and the school bell would ring within five minutes signaling the 758 students of her elementary school that it is time for another day of learning. 758 children that were not even alive to experience the horrific events of that September day 12 years ago. I grabbed my phone quickly though and snapped a picture. Because this afternoon, we will sit and talk about it and I will once again show her these flags along with another flag I saw on the way home from the grocery store. A flag that was flying proudly and representing our recovered country.



The story I will tell her will be this: 

September 11, 2001.
A day that will be remembered forever. The day our nation came under attack. Twelve years ago today, it seems like only yesterday. I personally knew no one in the World Trade Center, the Pentagon, or Flight 93, that was crashed into a field. 

My baby boy, Braden, your big brother, was one day away from being nine months old. I was living with my Moma and Daddy, your PaPa and Nana, in Wilson, OK. My Moma called me that morning and said turn on the TV. I just sat there holding Braden tight, tears streaming, asking God "who, what, why" is this being done. What kind of world is Braden and my future babies going to grow up in? How can terrorist hate us so much that they are willing to commit suicide in order to kill innocent people? That was the first time I saw gasoline prices soar, the pumps said $1.85-$2.00. It was considered price gouging. Of course today a gallon of gas costs $3.39. Crazy huh?

I will also remind her of this. These lyrics by Building 429.

This world has nothing for me
This life is not my own
I know You go before me and I am not alone
This mountain rises higher
The way seems so unclear
But I know that You go with me so I will never fear
I will trust in You

Whatever will come our way
Through fire or pouring rain
We won't be shaken
No we won't be shaken

Whatever tomorrow brings
Together we'll rise and sing
That we won't be shaken


I will tell her to not be afraid. To know that God is by her side always. I will reassure her that I love her and tell her also that I do not understand senseless acts. I will say a prayer with her for protection, a prayer to be with those who continue to be haunted with the acts of that dreadful September day. A day that we will never forget. 



 photo BlogSignature_zpsaaa2dccc.png

2 comments:

Rachel Hough said...

Beautiful...just beautiful!

ShaRhonda said...

Thank you Rachel.