Friday, October 12, 2012

Crock Pot Apple Crisp- The Pinspiration Project


This week's Pinspiration Project is inspired by the following pin from Eat at Home...



Here's the recipe, with my changes in red...

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup quick oats
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup butter
3-4 cups peeled and sliced apples- I used 6, 2 granny smith and 4 gala
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup chopped pecans
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
5 pats butter on top

INSTRUCTIONS
Stir brown sugar, oats and flour together. Cut the butter in with a pastry blender or fork to make soft crumbs. (I didn't cut my butter in, I melted it in the microwave.)
Combine the apples, cranberries and pecans in a large bowl. Stir in half the crumbs, mixing to coat all the apples. Pour into greased crock of the slow cooker.
Stir water, sugar and cinnamon together. Pour over apples.
Top with remaining crumbs.
Put the lid on the slow cooker. Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 5-6 hours. My crock only need 4 on low, then I sprinkled some caramel bits on top. Open and let rest a few minutes before serving. This will allow the extra liquid to thicken.

Now, here is a HUGE confession. I was a bit distracted Thursday morning when I put this in the crockpot. I had already taken two kids to school, spent $200 on air conditioning repairs, just found out the water had been cutoff due to a leak in the area, ran to the store because I was out of oats, and had a noon luncheon. I forgot the flour. This is not the first time I have made such a mistake, just the first since I was about 13 years old. Flourless chocolate chip cookies are disgusting, just saying. Honestly the extra 200 calories and 44 carbs weren't missed by me. My family wasn't to carried over by this dessert. It wasn't chocolate, and I burned the kids out on applesauce when they were babies, so they prefer their apples raw and on the core.
 Will I make again for my family?
 Probably not.

On a scale of 0-5 pins, I'm giving this one...
(only because it wasn't a "make again" family approved recipe)




What is your Pinspiration Project of the week? Go link up with Beth at Masterpiece.



Pin It

1 comment:

Heather Davis said...

Hey! Oklahoma will be starting a great network for Women Bloggers. Email me for more information! I'd love to visit with you about it as it gets going. :)
Heather D. (OklahomaWomenBloggers {at} gmail.com
www.minivan-Momma.com