Friday, February 13, 2009

Tornado Hits. Town Devastated. God IS in Control.

On Tuesday night, February 10th, we were warned that the weather could get rocky statewide in Oklahoma. We were blessed in the Tulsa area w/ only rainfall. Eight miles from my hometown of Wilson, in Lone Grove, was a different story. An F4 tornado carved a path of destruction, leaving 114 homes destroyed, 46 injured, and 8 deceased. I personally do not know any of the deceased, one casualty was a member's son of the church where my brother pastor's. I do have friends whose home were destroyed and damaged, Praise God they are okay. I have numerous friends who's homes were untouched and were camped out in storm cellars, safely. Jason's 1st cousin Kevin and his family live in Lone Grove. They are safe and were protected, Thank You Lord.

When disasters occur, people ask, why? My answer, only God himself knows. I think I have to look at the larger picture. How many people were at the gymnasium's, in Lone Grove and then 5 miles east at Plainview, watching basketball games? How many people were on their way home on Hiway 70 that runs through Lone Grove?

Ecclesiastes 3:1-4


There is an appointed time for everything, and a time for every affair under the heavens,
A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to uproot the plant.
A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to tear down, and a time to build.
A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance.

This community of almost 4,600 people will mourn together, heal together, and rebuild together. That's just how we Okie's do. I am proud to be an Oklahoman and I am proud to be originally from Carter County. My thoughts and prayers are with the entire community as they pick up the pieces and put their lives and town back together.

Pictures Courtesy of Julie (Jason's cousin in law), used w/out permission, but I'm hoping she doesn't mind!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

shhh I heard there is an award for you over at a certain gang's blog!

Megan said...

Oh my gosh! Prayers for everyone!

Fergie said...

Oh my goodness- do you have any idea how long I tried to figure out how to comment on your drawing last week! Read other people's comments... and that's where you can post! I send you an email earlier because that was the only way I could figure out how to comment!

Anyway, good post. Read the rest of my comments in the email I sent! :-p

Liz said...

Yes, we are here, and seeing it firsthand is surreal.

Michelle said...

Horrible! I am just so thankful that everyone is ok. Hope you and your family have a Happy Valentines Day. :)

Glenna said...

Oh goodness Im so glad your family is all ok. I loved that Bible verse it is awesome & it says it perfect. It is absolutely AMAZING how a tornado can destroy everything,but the lives that live will go on & rebuild,certainly God's powerful grace!
God Bless you ,thank you for sharing that story & verse!

Just Wedeminute said...

We have been praying for that community! So glad that your family is ok.